Senior Bioinformatics Engineer
We are looking for a full-time remote Bioinformatics Engineer to help us build & maintain pipelines and serve in an advisory/subject-matter-expert capacity on computational biological matters, pharmacogenomics, cancer, infectious diseases biosurveillance, etc.
This is a high-impact role that influences our growth and future.
As an engineer on our team, you will build the products and technology that enable our customers to get insights, analytics, and productivity, resulting in safe, high-quality patient care. You’ll be an integral part of the entire product development process, from ideation through delivery and iteration. In collaboration with stakeholders across clinical customers, R&D, and sales, your work will impact patients’ lives all across the country. At Bitscopic, you will build technology to help turn physicians and nurses into better healthcare professionals and power them with the knowledge to make better decisions.
What You Will do
- Draw from previous experience to build new, efficient, scalable genetic analysis pipelines for a wide variety of use cases – everything from epidemiological surveillance to precision medicine to genetics data sciences
- Advise on appropriate tools and technologies
- Help troubleshoot and support issues as they arise
- Be involved in building across the entire stack from the back-end, to APIs to front-end user interfaces to deliver end-to-end solutions.
- Work collaboratively with people throughout the company to understand the goals, needs, and priorities of systems and applications.
What you bring to the team
- 5+ years of engineering experience with a good understanding of how to design robust and scalable genetic analysis pipelines.
- Working knowledge or experience with tools such as IGV, Pangolin, Nextclade, minimap, STAR, bcftools, samtools, gatk, ivar, Geneious, nirvana, pharmcat; databases and knowledge sets such as pharmgkb, COSMIC, etc.
- A solid background in writing understandable, testable, and efficient code in a modern programming languages. Python and shell scripting experience is required.
- Familiarity with relevant tools and technologies and the drive to stay up-to-date with ongoing changes and advancements.
- Willingness and ability to take a deep dive into sequencing data, processes, and technologies and provide meaningful insights and directions for our products
- Knowledge of sequencing technologies and their ramifications on downstream analysis
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and the ability to talk to our customers.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Laboratory background – especially genetic sequencing
- Startup experience (juggling priorities, self-starter)
- Familiar with HIPAA and healthcare
- Implementing, migrating, and supporting application stacks to/in containers/serverless technologies
- Linux configuration & administration
Bitscopic is a data analytics company at the intersection of artificial intelligence, bioinformatics, and decision science. Our software suite empowers healthcare organizations to reduce costs, improve patient care outcomes, and mitigate the spread of infectious diseases. Bitscopic also provides solutions for managing complex clinical trials, operational efficiency, and other bioinformatics areas.
WHY JOIN US?
- Mission-Driven – We are self-funded, owned by the team, and entirely focused on making a meaningful impact in healthcare while maintaining collaborative, transparent communication and ego-free team culture.
- Team Culture – We value work-life balance, personal and professional growth, competitive compensation, continuous learning, and fun. We build essential products to positively impact and save lives. On our team, everyone’s voice is a vital contribution to the mission. Most of our team members have been with us for over six years.
- Freedom to Focus – Leverage flexibility, autonomy, and schedule to do your best work. Control your approach to achieve results, along with the responsibility of delivering for the team and our customers.
- Location Independent – Work from anywhere. We’ve been a distributed team since our founding in 2012.
- Family-friendly work culture
- Competitive compensation, including stock option awards
- Top-quality medical insurance, including dental, vision, as well as FSA employer contributions
- Evaluated on the quality of your work, not on how much time you spend working
- 401(k), Life insurance, LTD